There is a quote: "LIFE IS NOT ABOUT WAITING FOR THE STORMS TO PASS.... IT'S ABOUT LEARNING TO DANCE IN THE RAIN."
With 12 children and 5 adopted from Russia, we have had challenges and trials along with our joys. We have decided that we must
learn how to "dance in the rain." We must notice and acknowledge the joys and miracles in our lives.
They exist daily -- we just need to make sure we do not miss them!! This blog is to remind us of these miracles and joys!

Tuesday, October 2, 2012

BYU MARCHING BAND -- STARRING HYRUM -- SEPT 2012

HYRUM PERFORMING WITH 
THE BYU MARCHING BAND
SEPTEMBER 29, 2012

Dad and I were totally "band groupies" this weekend during our trip to Utah.  What fun it was!!!  I inherited the "marching band blood" from my mother, Clea Beach, and Hyrum inherited it from me!  It is so exhilerating to hear the band coming!  You just can't help getting excited!  As you will see in the pictures, I worked to capture every moment! Thank you Hyrum for being patient and enduring your mother's excitement and picture taking!!!

Dad and I started our evening as "band groupie parents" by slipping into their warm up/rehearsal on the Helaman Fields.  This band puts in a full day on game day!  Kick off was scheduled for 6pm and the band had to report at 3:30pm for uniform checkout, dress, and then over for rehearsal starting at 4:30pm.

Hyrum is 3rd from the left -- playing saxaphone


Only a mom would take a picture of their child's back and post it!
I told Dad not to yell, but he couldn't resist!


Hyurm is front row, middle saxophone



Hyrum is middle row, third one back


Waiting for instructions at the end of rehearsal

 After rehearsal, the band threw on their coats and hats and headed over to the baseball field to line up.  They march parade style down the road and over to the football field.  In addition to the drum cadences, they have this fun chant that they do!  So fun!!  I want to bring all the kids to a game!!
I snuck in a few pictures while they were waiting to line up!

Looking sharp!
My handsome son!

 While they were marching over, I of course had to get some video!!
I ran down the island of the road so that I could be on Hyrum's side.  I took the video of them passing by then ran up the island to get ahead of Hyrum and then took a few pictures!!!  It is hard work being a "band mom groupie!"




 After the band passed me the second time, I crossed the road and ran up the other side to get a picture of Hyrum from this angle!  Too bad that I am not in shape enough to do this easily!!

Hyrum is the far end

 We took our good friend, Adi, with us to the football game.
Adi was Dad's PhD student and has spent many Thanksgivings with us.
He is now a professor of accounting at University of Kansas.
Dad told us that as he and Adi were walking on campua, 
Adi said, "There is something special about this place."


 After the parade march, we found Adi and then listened to the band play outside the stadium at the cougar.  It was fun, too!!





Hyrum at "attention"




 Before the game, I abandoned Dad, Robert and Adi and headed down to get pictures of the Pre-Game Show.  Luckily, Hyrum was on this side!  After seeing the great pictures Melissa took of Hyrum a few weeks ago, I had hope of getting some!






Hyrum is the second row from the front that you see and the fourth one in from the right.
Hyrum -- dead center





 At the end of pre-game, the band makes a letter "Y" that the football team is able to run down the middle.  Hyrum is on the left side of the base of the "Y" and is that front bottom corner.  He has to watch out for the football players that come running and clip the corner or he gets hit as they run by!  He is closest to that blue pillar that shoots off fireworks as well!  Hyrum is in the middle of a lot of action!!!


 Now, since the band has been on duty for 2 1/2 hours all ready and have been playing a good chunk of that time, it is actually time to start the football game!!!  The band goes to the stands and has a lot of fun!


 Hyrum is above.
Below is the saxophone section leader who is
also in Robert and Alison's ward!





 This is a picture of Hyrum with one of his new friends, Emily.
It was quite funny that as I was taking pictures, a mom came up to me and asked, "Are you the mom that was running up the street taking pictures?"  I answered, "Yes."  Then she said, "Well I was running right behind you!  I'd love to get a copy of your pictures!"
As we talked and exchanged e-mail addresses, we came to find out that it was Emily's mom!!  Small world!


 We sat in section MM as and it's lofty location is shown in the picture below!
We were in the top third of the first white section from the right.
We had great fun!  Robert and Alison had helped us get tickets. 
Melissa was very generous to offer to ticket to Adi.  She had a lot of homework to catch up on.  After the game, we all went to Robert and Alison's for Raspberry Cheesecake ice cream from the Creamery!


 I had to take a couple of pictures of the football players for our boys!
Daniel and David would have loved being at this game!





Before halftime, I left our seats and make the trek down to take pictures of Hyrum in the stands and then over to the other side of the field to take pictures and video of the half-time show.  I figured out to video and take pictures at the same time -- except the video gets a bit shakey!





Hyrum is in the 4th row from the right and the third one from the front of the row.

After half-time, I made the trek all the way up to our seats and was tired.  After the game, we followed the band out and listened to them perform outside the stadium for about 20 minutes.  It was now after 10pm.  That is a 6+ hour event for this band!  Amazing.

Following the band, we visited with Kenneth and Jenni a bit and then met Hyrum and WALKED  back to Robert and Alison's Just in case you have never walked there from the Cougar Stadium before, it is a gradual up hill the entire way!!  Hmmm.  I think I did my share of waking and climbing to last a week!  
It was really fun to hang out with Robert, Alison, Melissa and Hyrum and visit! It was a great day!   

Other wonderful events of our Utah trip were:
Dad attended the BYU Research Symposium at BYU
Dad and I had lunch with Melissa at Cafe' del Rio
I had dinner with Robert, Alison and Hyrum at Los Hermonos downtown
Dad and I had a wonderful visit with the White Family Thursday night
Dad was able to help Hyrum and Melissa adjust their bank accounts
We bought 12 new framed prints of Jesus Christ for our home
We bought Robert and Alison their Christmas present
I had lunch at the Creamery with Robert
I took 2 naps!
Prior to our meeting in Utah, I had a wonderful visit with Dad and Mom Beach in Arizona for 3 days!  It was great to see them!
















No comments:

Post a Comment