There is a quote: "LIFE IS NOT ABOUT WAITING FOR THE STORMS TO PASS.... IT'S ABOUT LEARNING TO DANCE IN THE RAIN."
With 12 children and 5 adopted from Russia, we have had challenges and trials along with our joys. We have decided that we must
learn how to "dance in the rain." We must notice and acknowledge the joys and miracles in our lives.
They exist daily -- we just need to make sure we do not miss them!! This blog is to remind us of these miracles and joys!

Monday, May 25, 2015

APRIL 22-27, 2015 -- UTAH VISIT AND BYU GRADUATION

BYU GRADUATION & UTAH VISIT
APRIL 22-27, 2015

Melissa picked me up at the airport – minus my luggage.  My connection in Dallas was tight and my suitcase didn’t make it.  It was delivered to Kenneth and Jenni’s later that night.  It was so fun to see Melissa again and to be back in Provo.  We went from the airport to the Salt Lake Temple for an endowment session – with a stop for lunch at the Blue Lemon Sandwich shop in the City Creek Mall.  This was Melissa’s first time at the SLC Temple and my first time in about 10 years.  We had a great experience and I’m so grateful Melissa had the idea for us to go.  After the temple, we went to meet Grandma Richardson at the Conference Center.  I had hoped for a tour, but we were too late getting out of the temple.  We gave another missionary a ride home to Pleasant Grove, dropped Grandma off at Kenneth and Jenni’s and then went to meet the Clawson’s and Joseph for pizza at Melissa’s apartment.  What fun to hug Joseph again!!  It was so fun to be with Robert and Alison and their darling girls!  What a beautiful family they have!  We ate Black Jack Pizza because it is Robert’s favorite and Robert is the “guest of honor” this weekend since he is graduation from BYU with his Masters in Computer Science. 







Thursday morning, I slept in a bit which was nice since I have been running a pretty busy schedule and never got to sleep through “jet lag.”  I ran to Lowe’s for more paint chips and then to buy diapers for a gift from Joann Hancock and I for Rebekah Ellingson Free’s baby shower.  It was fun to see those Ellingson girls.  I then headed over to the Creamery to see Joseph working and I bougth myself a hamburger for lunch and quietly watched Joseph working while taking pictures and video like a “Paparazzi Mamma.”  I of course had to have a scoop of ice cream before he got off his shift and Joseph served me!!  I loved it!  

Dad left Mom's favorite candy this time rather than flowers!




·         A few weeks ago, Joseph went on a date and when he and his date arrived at the creamery, he told her, “I’ll be back in just a minute.”  Joseph ran around to the back and got his apron and hat on and showed up and said to his date, “Can I help you?”  He then served her choice of ice cream.  I told his that was the greatest thing!!!!  He made me laugh when he said, ”but I goofed because before I got back around to her she had already paid for her own ice cream.”  Oh well.  I was proud of Joseph for his cute idea for his date!


Thursday afternoon was the BYU Commencement and we honored Robert there.  Abigail wasn’t feeling well, so Melissa kept Abigail at her apartment and the rest of us went to the Marriott Center.  Right after that, Grandma Richardson hosted a graduation dinner at Kenneth and Jenni’s home and there were lots of family there and lots of cousins.  There were 8 cousins that graduated from BYU that day.  It was a fun evening.

























Abigail loved the bunny!
Grandma Richardson's graduating grandchildren




Richardson Children
Friday morning, I was up early and ready to be picked up by Robert and Alison at 7am.  We headed to the Wilk Ballroom for Robert’s college graduation.  It was great.  Afterwards, we walked to the Talmage building for a reception and to take some pictures.  Robert was able to get a picture with his thesis advisor and in front of his building with his family.  Joseph and I loved joining them for the fruit and bagels at the reception!  The next task for Joseph and I was to pack his dorm room and clean.  We worked and worked and 3 hours later, we had him packed and ready to move out.  We cleaned his part of the dorm and then carried out all the boxes.  We had 4 boxes to mail to Arkansas and his suitcase for China.  It started to rain 4 different times but stopped before things got too wet.  Melissa came and picked us up and we headed off to mail Joseph’s boxes and then to drop off our things at Ken and Jenni’s.  Joseph stayed at Jenni’s and I went with Melissa to pack up her apartment. We made good progress and got Melissa almost all packed and then she took me back to Jenni’s house.















 After Robert's graduation, Joseph and Mom went to his dorm and finished packing him up and cleaned and moved him out!  Joseph has finished 3 semesters at BYU and is ready to move on to a new chapter -- a mission!



We went to dinner at a Thai Restaurant or dinner




Melissa finishes up some work



Saturday morning, Melissa had some appointments and Joseph and I packed and did laundry and then were ready to work when Melissa was free.  Melissa accompanied Marcus when he played his trumpet for the state solo ensemble festival.  Melissa also had a bridal shower for a friend and took a roommate to the airport.  She is always doing good things for other people!  About 2pm, we first mailed 4 boxes to Arkansas for Melissa and then headed to Melissa’s apartment and finished her cleaning and loaded up the car.  We got all of her stuff in, but we likely are not going to have room for our own suitcases for China.  Joseph and I went to pack the car while Melissa worked on some research data for her research team.  Joseph got a call from Dad and he reminded me that I had not done the program for Sacrament Meeting in Suzhou!  I hurried and did that first and then we packed the car.  Even though I gave it enormous effort, I could not fit everything.  Jennie said we could leave 3 boxes and a laundry basket for Melvin to pick up in the next few weeks.  This saved us having to make 2 trips to Farmington that night.  I was so grateful.  We were packed tight but on our way up to Melvin and Tami’s house in the rain.
I LOVE THE RAIN!!!  At least I do in the USA!  The weather was so beautiful this week.  Lots of clouds, snow on the mountain tops and just gorgeous!  It has made me so excited for seasons and weather in Arkansas.  In Suzhou, rain just equals black silty mud and a mess.  It is not very pleasant.  This week the rain was clean and refreshing and I was in heaven!!!
Before we left town, we met up with Robert, Alison and the girls to have Thai food and a good visit.  We then went and helped Melissa finish up her research data and then hit the road about 9:30pm.
We arrived at Tami’s and slept well – at least I did but I believe I kept Melissa awake with my turning and maybe a little snoring.  Sorry Melissa!  It is hard to share a bed with someone when you aren’t used to doing that.  I think I will volunteer to sleep on the couch tonight.
This morning, Sunday, I was up and ready for church at 7:40am and felt lost and confused because we didn’t leave for church 2 hours ahead of time!  It was so weird!!!  I was a little out of sorts, but I survived.  We didn’t have to leave until 10 minutes before church started and then we were still 5 minutes early!  That is so different from our life in China!  “Culture shock!”  After church we unloaded the car and put Melissa’s things in the basement then she and I headed to the baby blessing of her close friend and previous roommate, Amelia.  It was such a nice blessing and great meeting.  As I mentioned before, we have been able to relax and visit and Melissa and Joseph were able to take naps.  The Sabbath is beautiful.

We had a delicious Sunday dinner and I am sitting here enjoying the beautiful piano music provided by Melissa!  She keeps checking up on me to make sure I get this letter finished and off before Hyrum gets on line!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment